The Dixie Amateur Radio Club, Inc. (DARC) is a non-profit [IRS 501(c)(3)] association of Amateur Radio operators, also known as "ham radio" operators, in southwestern Utah. DARC, Inc. is affiliated with the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), the National Association for Amateur Radio.
Amateur Radio operators are federally licensed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to provide a radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:
- Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications;
- Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art;
- Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communications and technical phases of the art;
- Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts,
- Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.
Members of the Dixie Amateur Radio Club provide voluntary public service radio communications throughout the area for activities such as the annual St. George Marathon and the Huntsman World Senior Games. Amateur Radio operators also maintain a readiness to provide emergency communications locally, regionally and world-wide in the event of a natural disaster or other calamity.